Optimal *4-2-1 Plan Snack Option
According to the Optavia Guide, the Optimal Weight 4 & 2 & 1 Plan™ is perfect for you if you prefer a flexible meal plan to help you reach a healthy weight.
The Optimal Weight 4 & 2 & 1 Plan is suitable for you if you:
• Want to incorporate all of the food groups, including fruit, dairy, and starches
• Have type 1 diabetes and are closely monitored by your healthcare provider
• Have type 2 diabetes
• Are 65 years or older and not regularly active
• Exercise greater than 45 minutes per day
• Have less than 15 pounds to lose
You just have 4 Fuelings + 2 lean and green meals + 1 healthy snack Just like the other plans you eat six times daily, once every two to three hours. Practice your Habits of Health and create a support team to back you up. Now here is a list of snacks for the 4-2-1 Plan.
Healthy Snacks On the Optimal Weight 4 & 2 & 1 Plan™ you may incorporate a OPTAVIA™ Snack, starch, fruit, or dairy choice into one of your meal times. Remember to keep your meals at six per day, spaced two to three hours apart, for optimal blood sugar and hunger control.
• Puffed Sweet and Salty Snacks
• Puffed Ranch Snacks
A healthy snack serving of starch is:
• 1 slice whole-grain bread (3g or more fiber/slice)
• 2 slices low-calorie, light, whole-grain bread (about 40 calories/slice)
• ¾ cup cold whole-grain cereal such as bran flakes (3g or more fiber/serving)
• ½ cup cooked cereal
• ½ cup peas, corn
• 1 cup winter squash
• ¼ large (3 oz.) baked potato
• ⅓ cup cooked brown rice
• ⅓ cup cooked whole-wheat pasta
• ½ cup cooked beans or lentils
NOTE: Check the food label to be sure that the starch or grain products you choose are made from whole-grain sources, which should appear as the first ingredient on the list. Examples include whole wheat, whole rye, and whole oats.
A healthy snack serving of fruit is:
• 1 small (4 oz.) piece of fresh fruit such as pear, apple, orange, etc.
• ½ cup fresh or frozen fruit
• 1 cup fresh, cubed melon such as cantaloupe, honeydew, etc.
• ¾ cup fresh berries
• ½ cup canned fruit such as peaches, pears, or fruit cocktail (choose fruit packed in water or natural juices, NOT in syrup)
• 17 fresh grapes
• ½ large grapefruit
A healthy snack serving of dairy is:
• ⅔ cup (6 oz.) low-fat yogurt (fewer than 120 calories)
• 1 cup unsweetened low-fat or fat-free milk (cow, soy, almond, or cashew)
• ½ cup fat-free evaporated milk
NOTE: Always choose low-fat or fat-free dairy foods. Cheese of any kind should not be considered a dairy option and therefore cannot be counted as a healthy snack. See the Vegetarian Information Sheet for information about including cheese as a lean protein choice in your weight-loss plan.